The mission of NM Racquetball: to provide educational and recreational opportunities to the broadest cross-section of the population.
President’s Message---August, 2019
Lima and Pan Ams
Since 1995 Racquetball has been an integral part of the Pan American Games. Buenos Aires, Argentina was the first city. Each succeeding quadrennial, racquetball has been included, with the exception of Brazil in 2007. Winnipeg in 1999, Santo Domingo in 2003, Guadalajara in 2011, and Toronto in 2015, and the 2019 Games just completed in Lima. The Peruvian Games hosted 38 sports. Each time I attend, the logistics become more intricate, the quality becomes better, and the Games become bigger. As an organizer, one must understand that the dynamics are huge! Consider the following:
1. The Games are followed with the ParaPanAm Games a week later.
2. 100,000 individuals signed up to be a Volunteer; the highest acclaimed 19,000 were selected.
3. There are 41 countries in the qualifying region; racquetball had 14 countries participate.
4. Added to the mix of athletes were coaches, delegates, and security staff.
5. New venues were erected and others experienced renovations.
6. The planning phase covered a decade.
7. A gross budget needs development and constant restructuring.
From a racquetball viewpoint, let us consider:
1. We were the only federation that offered live streaming to our constituency.
2. ESPN Mexico broadcast play over many of the disciplines, including racquetball.
3. Over 100 volunteers were associated with our venue; offering assistance with
security, crowd control, facility upkeep, & food and beverage.
4. Four different countries qualified for the team finals; Mexico won all 4 individual titles.
5. The 18 Officials represented 8 countries; all in this hemisphere.
6. Five Championship courts are left in the complex as the legacy. Now it is up to
Racquetball Peru to develop and build the programs. Peru fielded a mens team as the host.
7. Bolivia and Mexico won team golds.
8. Bolivia’s ‘gold’ is the first medal earned in their history in Pan Ams or Olympics.
9. I instructed two development clinics, one for playing skills and the other for officiating.
Forty eager students attended. Manuel Flores is the designated professional in the area.
Quote of the month…
‘Everything you need is already inside you;
Compassion, Courage, and Love’ anon
Serving New Mexico, Southern Colorado, & West Texas since 1977